Wizard of Oz Spring Break
Now ‘til May: There’s No Place Like the Silver Beach Carousel
Oh, what a Wiz the Great Oz is! He’s magically turned our Carousel House into the Land of Oz. Over the next few weeks it’s whirling with fun for all ages. No matter when spring break falls on your calendar, make us your staycation, day trip or longer-stay destination. You’ll find lots of good times waiting for you. Just bring your family over the rainbow to the Silver Beach Carousel and follow the yellow brick road!
Gaze into our crystal ball, and you'll see these Wizard of Oz activities:
Spring Break, March 30-April 9
This week, each day has a special theme and is filled with so many fun activities you won’t want to click your heels to go home!
A Horse of a Different Color Day
Thursday, March 30: 4-8:30 p.m.
- Enter the “A Horse of a Different Color” Coloring Contest now through April 9. We’ ll randomly draw one boy’ s and one girl’ s entry from each of three age categories: 3-5, 6-10 and 11-14 on April 10. Six winners will receive a Magical Memories Coupon Book ($25 retail) that’ s chockfull of free Carousel rides, popcorn, cotton candy, drinks and special events coupons.
- Ride our Horse of a Different Color, our beautiful pink Unicorn. We added her to our Carousel deck just for our Wizard of Oz event, so be sure to get a picture before she magically disappears again!
- Enter to win fun prizes snack and drink packages and flying monkeys in our Family Fun Night raffle (it’ s free).
- See the Amazing Lego Display. It’ s here ‘ til April 9.
- Half-off carousel rides ($1) on all our colorful figures!
Friday, March 31: 11 am – 8 pm
- Whirl hula hoops, play Twister® with your friends, dance the “Twist” with your grandpa, take a few spins on the Carousel and eat twisty-twirly cotton candy.
- Make a tornado swirl in a bottle at our activity table.
- Take home a tornado safety tips handout from the National Weather Service and learn how to keep your family safe during severe storms.
April Fool’s – Yellow Brick Road Day
Saturday, April 1: 11 am – 8 pm
- Wear something yellow and get one free ride on the Carousel.
- Follow the yellow brick road from the entrance gate to the Carousel operator. Be on guard! Our operator will be doing April Fool’s jokes and antics all day!
- See if you’ll be fooled by the world-renowned LiveStatue! He’ll be here from 12 to 4 p.m. Take a selfie with him and share it on our Facebook page!
- Create roads and other cool stuff with stacks of yellow LEGO bricks. You’ll find lots of inspiration in our Amazing Lego Display.
Toto-ally Awesome Sunday
Sunday, April 2: 12 pm – 5 pm
- Bring your favorite stuffed dog and take photographs on our Carousel dog “Millie” (we’re renaming her “Toto” for the day).
- Bring biscuits, treats or cash for the dogs at the Humane Society of Southwestern Michigan. We’ll have a collection box for your donations near the concession stand.
Monday, April 3: 11 am – 5 pm
- Play our “Lollipop Kids” game. Pick a lollipop from our tree. If you find a red dot on the end of the stick, you’ll win a free ride token. A blue dot gets you a free bag of popcorn. A blank stick means you have a yummy lollipop to lick until it disappears.
- Wear your ruby slippers for photo opportunities all around our Carousel House ... favorite spots are next to the cutouts of the Wizard and his hot air balloon or Dorothy.
- Enjoy rainbow-colored Dippin’ Dots® ice cream, and fresh twirled cotton candy and rainbow-striped bags full of caramel corn available from the concession stand.
- Make chalk rainbows outdoors on our sidewalk (weather permitting).
“If I Only Had a Brain” Tuesday
Tuesday, April 4: 11 am – 5 pm
- Choose your favorite Carousel figure to ride. Throughout the day, the operator will randomly give away Smarties® candy rolls to “smart” riders.
- Wear a funny hat when you come to the Carousel (we’ll have some available to choose from, too) and take your picture with our Scarecrow cutout.
- See if you can answer our operator’s Wizard of Oz riddles and trivia questions as you spin around on the Carousel.
- While browsing in the Brass Ring Gift Shop, think of great ideas to add to your spring holiday baskets or to decorate your house or office, etc..
Wednesday, April 5: 11 am – 5 pm
- Wear green and get one free ride on the Carousel.
- Meet Glinda the Good Witch. She’ll be here, in person, from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Don’t miss these photo opps, too! Wear the Carousel’ s animal-print witch hats while riding your favorite figure or pose by the Flying Monkeys cutouts.
- Treat everyone in your family to “I’m melting” Dippin’ Dots® ice cream and cotton candy, plus bottled water from the concession stand.
Emerald City Extravaganza Thursday
Thursday, April 6: 11 am – 8:30 pm
- Wear green and the Carousel operator may randomly award you a free ride or bag of “poppy” corn.
- Take photos by the fiery, Great Oz display. If you have enough courage, tell him your wishes!
- Family Fun Night: 4 – 8:30 pm
- Enter our free free, hourly raffles to win prizes.$2 gift certificates to the Brass Ring Gift Shop.
- Ride any figure on the Carousel for half off ($1).
- The LiveStatue Tinman returns. Try catching him move when he changes positions.
- Be sure to have your child hand in his or her “A Horse of a Different Color” Coloring Contest entry. There are only four more days before the drawing for six Magical Memories Coupon Books (each a $25 retail value).
King of the Forest Friday
Friday, April 7: 11 am – 8 pm
- Be brave! Ride our Carousel cats: Lion Cub, Benton Harbor Tiger, Tiger Cub, St. Joseph Bear, Panda Bear and Snow Leopard Cub. Then find the horse figure with the cat riding behind its saddle? Look closely ... that cat’s eyes will follow you!
- Donate cat treats, toys, small litter boxes, clay litter (no clumping) or cash for the Humane Society of Southwestern Michigan. We’ ll collect donations by the concession stand.
- Have a rip-roarin’ good time playing board games or going outside (weather permitting) to do sidewalk chalk drawings.
- See the Amazing LEGO display and create a lion from the LEGOS on our activity table.
“If I Only Had a Heart” Saturday
Saturday, April 8: 11 am – 8 pm
- If you haven’t seen the LiveStatue Tinman earlier this week, stop in from 12 to 4 p.m. Bring your camera – you’ll want pictures to share with your friends. (Or pose with our Tinman cutout – he’s here throughout our Wizard of Oz display.)
- Enjoy heart-shaped cookies from the concession stand.
- Ride the Carousel figures you love the most. Don’t forget to try our chariots. The peacock chariot rocks and the serpent chariot is wheelchair accessible!
- Find “I love you” birthday, anniversary and just-because gift ideas for all age in our Brass Ring Gift Shop.
We’re Off to See the Wizard Sunday
Sunday, April 9: 12 pm – 5 pm
- Take photos with the Wizard of Oz character cutouts including the Great Oz.
- Play games, ride your favorite figures, enjoy yummy treats.
- Outside the Carousel House, make sidewalk chalk drawings of hot air balloons.
- Visit the Brass Ring Gift Shop and make wishes come true.
- Enter our “A Horse of a Different Color” Coloring Contest by 5 p.m.! We’ll randomly draw six winners (a boy and girl from three age categories) tomorrow morning and contact you if you won a Magical Memories Coupon Book.
- Lock arms and skip down to the beach!
We’ll continue to keep the Wizard of Oz decorations up until May. Stop in Thursdays, 4-8:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sundays, 12-5 p.m. And if you’re in town, be sure to hop in for these special springtime activities:
Bunny Hop Family Fun Night
Thursday, April 13: 4-8:30 p.m.
- Wear your bunny ears and jump on your favorite Carousel figures. All rides are half-price (only $1).
- Enter our free raffles to win cute bunny peep prizes.
- You’ll be hoppy playing board games, hop scotch and corn hole all evening.
Saturday, April 15: 11-3 p.m.
- The Easter Bunny will be here handing out prize eggs to children up to 12 years old from 11 to 3 p.m. Maybe he’ll hop on the Carousel with you! Bring your camera!
- Throughout the day, riders can randomly win golden eggs with a free Kilwins® ice cream cone certificate inside.
- Draw and decorate giant eggs, baskets and bunnies with sidewalk chalk our patio (weather permitting).
- Still need basket fillers and decorations for tomorrow? The Brass Ring Gift Shop is bursting with treats, toys and treasures!
Sunday, April 16
Paw-sitively Fun Family Fun Night
Thursday, April 20: 4-8:30 p.m.
- All rides are half price ($1)
- Enter free raffles to win Paw Patrol™ prizes.
- Enjoy games and special spring activities for all ages
Go Fly a Kite Family Fun Night
Thursday, April 27: 4-8:30 p.m.
- Have a high-flying time riding your favorite Carousel figures for half price ($1).
- Enter free raffles for prizes and play games inside and on our patio.
- Bring a kite and fly it across the street at Whirlpool Centennial Park or down at Silver Beach.
This spring, there are lots of reasons to fly over the rainbow to spend the next few weeks at the Carousel! Hope to see you soon ... and often!