Now hiring! Seasonal Carousel Operators
What’s more rewarding than making people smile? That’s what you’ll do as one of our new seasonal Carousel operators. You’ll spend up to 30 of the best hours of your week entertaining thousands of summer guests. You will work alongside people who love their jobs. This will be your happy place!
“I love watching how the Carousel makes riders so happy. I get to meet people from all over the country and the world and help them create some of their best memories. I always feel good working here.” Ken Kaszubowski, Lead Operator
Who you’ll report to
Lead Carousel Operator Ken Kaszubowski who has nearly a decade of experience operating and maintaining the Silver Beach Carousel. You will work with the best!
What you’ll do
- Make smiles and create fun-filled experiences for our guests as you operate the Carousel. You will play a key role in providing everyone in the Carousel House a high quality, efficient and safe experience.
- Talk and interact with our guests and volunteers. Throughout your shift, you’ll enthusiastically welcome riders and make children laugh. Give directions for each ride from start to finish. And engage guests with stories about our magnificent figures, band organs and our fact-filled rounding boards.
- Oversee the loading and unloading of Carousel riders and operate the 18-ton machine.
- Play the two band organs and CDs on a surround sound system.
- Help to maintain the physical appearance of the Carousel so it always looks like a million bucks.
- Be the go-to person when our guests and volunteers need information about the Carousel, Silver Beach Center and our community.
- Give support and assistance to the Lead and Assistant Lead Operators, your co-workers and to other departments when your supervisor requests it. You will participate in team meetings and contribute to our efforts to implement projects and achieve our goals. We value your insights and ideas!
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures that pertain to the Carousel. They are written to keep this a safe, secure, family-friendly place so we follow them very seriously and do not take short cuts.
- Maintain confidentiality and uphold the high standards of our code of ethics. It’s how we roll and why this is such a fun place to work every day!
What you’ll bring to the Carousel
- Have an upbeat, outgoing, pleasant and courteous personality. A playful approach to life is a definite plus.
- Be articulate and comfortable making frequent public address announcements.
- Be a performer. You can develop your own announcer style while upholding our procedures, policies and code of ethics.
- Have knowledge about Southwest Michigan and its communities. You will be asked to give directions, suggestions of places to eat, stay and things to do. You’ll be our area’s ambassador!
- Express a genuine concern for taking care of peoples’ needs and protecting their safety and security while they are here.
- Enjoy bringing smiles to all ages, from all cultures, races and ethnic backgrounds. One of the benefits of this job is meeting babies to 100+ year old adults from all walks of life and from all around our planet.
- Remain calm, reassuring and decisive when under pressure or during emergencies.
- Able to stand for up to eight hours (lengthy shifts will include a break), lift 40 lbs. and multitask. It’s a fun-packed job!
- Able to be flexible with your work schedule. We will need your help on weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- Able to listen to happy, but loud band organ music throughout your shift.
- If you are not already trained and certified in first aid, CPR and defibrillator use, be willing and able to take training.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or equivalent and be able to demonstrate maturity in interpersonal relationships, accept responsibility and provide sound judgement.
What you’ll get
- Part-time employment, up to 30 hours a week as needed seasonally. Our high tourist season is May through Labor Day Weekend. We also have increased demand for seasonal Carousel operators during our special events such as Spring Break and the winter holidays.
- $10.50 an hour and a happy heart
- Training from one of the best Carousel operators in the country
- Satisfaction and enjoyment from being part of a team who operates one of St. Joseph’s iconic attractions
To apply, call (269) 932-1141.